Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Space Shuttle Atlantis Visits Columbus AFB

Wow, after six months without posting a new blog, I am finally back in the saddle! This is hopefully the first of several I will be posting over the next few weeks.

Yesterday, the Space Shuttle Atlantis stopped at Columbus Air Force Base to refuel on it's way back to Kennedy Space Center in Florida. I got the opportunity to photograph it, and Caleb got to go as well. He is all about space and rockets now, so he had a blast. We were at the north end of the runway, close enough to feel the wind off of the plane when it passed over. Incredible experience! 

I think I got some really good shots. For you technical types, I was dripping in Canon digital gear. I had my 1D Mark II (this body shoots 8 frames per second.....yes, 8)with my 100-400mm lens in one hand, and my 5D with a wide angle in the other, both of which had circular polarizing filters on them.

We had to sit in the sun for about two hours waiting, but it was well worth it, or at lease Caleb and I though so;)

Enjoy!























3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! What amazing images! I'd love to use these on the Local History Room blog too. I wish that I could have been there!

--Mona

Jill said...

So glad you are back on your blog. Great pics from a neat experience.

Anonymous said...

These are GREAT pictures! I especially love pics #5, #7, & #8. What a great thing to experience!!! Keep the great photos coming...

~HK